Total begins construction of Miyagi Osato solar plant in Japan

  • Oct 09, 2019
  • Power Technology

French energy company Total’s subsidiary Total Solar International has started the construction of its third solar power plant, Miyagi Osato Solar Park in the Miyagi prefecture of Japan.

Total Renewables senior vice-president Julien Pouget said: “The Miyagi Osato Solar Park is Total’s third and biggest solar plant in Japan, which will allow us to reach a cumulated capacity of over 100MW in the country.

“This project is in line with Total’s commitment to develop renewable production capacities worldwide and in particular in the Japanese market, where we actively pursue our development.”

The 52MW solar project has already achieved financial close and is expected to generate clean energy and supply to Japanese homes when it becomes operational in 2021. Once completed, the facility will be operated by the special purpose company Miyagi Osato Solar Park.

Total Solar International owns a 90% stake in Miyagi Osato Solar Park, while the remaining 10% stake is held by SB Energy, a Japanese subsidiary of SoftBank Group.

The solar plant will be equipped with 116,000 SunPower Maxeon solar panels and has been designed to meet Japan’s stringent earthquake-resistant building standards.

Construction works for the Miyagi Osato Solar Park have been initiated following the start of Total Solar International’s two large-scale solar plants including Miyako Solar Park and Nanao Power Plant.

The company tweeted: “Total about to build its 3rd and biggest solar power plant in Japan. It will provide clean electricity for around 15600 households while allowing us to exceed the threshold of 100MWp of cumulated capacity.”

Total also noted that: “With solar plants in Osato, Nanao and Miyako (Japan), Prieska (South Africa) and Salvador (Chile), developing solar energy is a key focus in our strategy to attain our ambition in becoming the responsible energy major.”

Developping solar energy is a key focus in our strategy to attain our ambition: becoming the responsible energy major.

Learn more here:

https://t.co/oI36iCuGz8 pic.twitter.com/wbXLjBaLG2

Enter your details here to receive your free whitepaper.

Register for access to the Energy news and press releases