Miner dies in Qld coal mine

  • Sep 15, 2021
  • Mining Weekly

PERTH (miningweekly.com) – Mining contractor Mastermyne on Wednesday confirmed that a worker was fatally injured in an underground incident at the Gregory Crinum coal mine, in Queensland.

News services reported overnight that one man had died and two others had been taken to hospital after a section of the Sojitz-owned mine collapsed.

Mastermyne MD Tony Caruso said on Thursday that the employee’s family has been notified of the incident, and that the company was providing them with support and assistance, while counseling services have been made available to all Mastermyne staff and others impacted by the incident.

“The safety and wellbeing of our staff is one of our core values. The cause of the incident will be thoroughly investigated and we will continue to support the family of our work colleagues.”

Mining operations at the mine have been suspended and Queensland Resources Minister Scott Stewart noted that three members from the Queensland Mines Inspectorate are on site and have begun their investigation into the nature and cause of the incident.

"Any loss of life on our mine sites is unacceptable, and it is my expectation the Queensland Mines Inspectorate and Resources Safety and Health Queensland will investigate this incident thoroughly and with diligence," the Minister said.

The Minerals Council of Australia has extended its condolences to the family of the worker.

“The minerals industry is committed to, and working hard on, eliminating fatalities, injuries and occupational illnesses, with a strong focus on building and sustaining respectful workplaces,” CEO Tania Constable said.