Uzbekistan Chooses Tudakul Lake For Nuclear Plant Sites

  • Oct 10, 2018
  • Nuclear Street

From 70 to 10 to 1 regional option, Uzbekistan has reportedly opted for Tudakul Lake as the site of its future nuclear power plant.

In July, Uzbekistan reached a formal agreement with Russia to jointly build a nuclear power plant in part to allow Uzbekistan to export more of its natural gas. Currently, the country’s electricity demand – about 69 billion kilowatt hours annually – is 85 percent generated from natural gas and coal fired power plants. The remaining 15 percent is produced through hydropower.

News agency said Tuesday that the Deputy Director of the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Academy of Sciences at Uzbekistan Ilham Sadykov announced the final round of studies included 3-4 sites near the lake that are being studied for geographic stability. “Now, 3-4 potential sites are being studied near the Tudakul Lake,” which is located on the boarder of Novoi and Bukhara, two regions of south-central Uzbekistan.

Current plans call for two VVER-1200, Gen 3 Plus reactors to be commissioned by 2028. The budget for the build is expected to be around $13 billion.

Uzebekistan has one research reactor, but a domestic nuclear power plant in the country would be a first for the region.

Uzebekistan is north of Afghanistan. It is also bordered by Turkmenistan to the west, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan to the east and Kazakhstan to the north.

Register for unlimited access to Energy news and press releases